"Moved Me" Mondays

Monday, October 25, 2010

A Life that Moved Me

I originally had planned to post something entirely different for this post but that will have to wait until next week. I received an email today about the passing of a friend of mine. Some might think it was strange for me to call him my friend as there was over a 50 year age difference but I've learned that friendship is not determined by age or many other differences that we can come up with. Today I learned of the passing of my friend Rev. Melvin "Mel" Coil.

I met Mel when I was a youth pastor at Gospel Center Missionary Church. Mel was a lot older than me and an elder within the church. To tell you the truth...I was a little scared of Mel. One day that all changed. Mel came and asked if I'd help him move a person who was in an assisted living facility to another one...a gentleman that he was looking after and caring for which Mel did for several others. I told him sure, I'd love to help. After we moved this gentleman Mel took me out to a trucker stop for lunch...one of the best meals I've ever had but we spent time getting to know one another. This is where a great friendship started.

After this Mel would call me up from time to time asking if I could help him create some powerpoint presentations for him since he wasn't that tech savvy so that he could go to churches and share about his trip to Haiti and how they could get involved in helping those in need in Haiti. It didn't take me much time but Mel would always insist on paying me a little for the work I did even though I told him I was just helping out a friend...I think because he was a pastor himself he wanted to help a youth pastor out.

Those are just a few of my favorite memories of Mel. Even in his elder years Mel had a servant's heart and a passion to help those in other countries hear the Gospel. After I left Gospel Center he tracked my number down to call me and let me know how much he missed me but was glad that I was at a new ministry doing well. I had the priviledge of seeing Mel one more time last year at Bethel College for General Conference. It had been several years but we took a few minutes to catch up like old friends.

I will deeply miss my friend Mel but am glad he's with the Savior he loved and served. I will always be grateful for the times and conversations we shared and the lessons I learned from a follower of Christ who was almost 3 times my age. I mourn the loss of my friend but am thankful that God allowed my path to cross with his. Mel's love for Christ moved me and I hope one day others may say the same of me. That would be an amazing legacy to leave.

Good bye Mel...thanks for your friendship...I love and miss you old friend!
Who are some people who have moved you with their life and how? Share your story to honor them by posting a comment.

2 comments:

Gary said...

lots of great posts tank. keep 'em coming!

Unknown said...

THat's MY PAWPAW - WAY TO GO AND DEEPLY MISSED!!!