Moved Me Mondays

Monday, November 08, 2010

Being in Jr. High ministry for the last 5 years has been pretty unique. For the first year or two I was learning what working with Jr. Highers was really all about but these last few years has really been full of lots of fun and enjoyment.

One reason I really enjoy Jr. High ministry is that I really believe it is the cutting edge ministry. I've been saying this for a while now but because of the exposure that today's teens have to internet and some of the things on TV and in media here's how I tend to see things:

Today's Preteens = Yesterday's Jr. Highers
Today's Jr. Highers = Yesterday's Sr. Highers
Today's Sr. Highers = Yesterday's Young Adult/College Ministry

It seems to me that many of our Jr. Highers are facing some pretty intense and adult issues that thankfully I didn't experience to the intensity that they do today. Don't get me wrong, I was still exposed to things beyond my years when I was younger but I think that the intensity level has significantly gone up.

So what is it that has moved me recently....a few weeks back I had a conversation with a Jr. High student through texting. This Jr. Higher has really been struggling that God wanted them to do more...to stand out and be a leader. We've had a few conversations before this and each time I'd talk with them you could tell that God was really moving within them. They were wrestling with the idea that doing nothing was not an option...that they could no longer just sit back...they needed to make a difference in their school. They told me about how they invited a friend to our Hayride Outreach and encountered some resistance. Although they were scared and didn't have answers they tried their best to answer what they could and throughout the invitation...they looked fear in the eye and made the decision that their friend was more important then their fear.

Their tenacity and commitment not to quit or give up moved me. I wish when I was their age that I was willing to go that far for Christ. I guess that's why I love Jr. Highers and working with them. I believe it is my responsibility during this season of my life to help them see that they aren't just Jr. Highers...they are world changers. I hope this moves you to push through your fear to do something amazing for Him...after all "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me".

No comments: